Project Management/Program Development, Public Relations
The American Gaming Association (AGA) is seeking a vice president of state and regulatory affairs to support the organization’s state policy and regulatory agenda through aggressive advocacy. This is a newly created position – offering the ideal candidate the unique opportunity to put their stamp on the organization and industry. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the AGA is the premier national trade group representing the $240 billion U.S. casino gaming industry, which supports 1.7 million jobs in 40 states. It is the mission of the AGA to achieve sound policies and regulations consistent with casino gaming’s modern appeal and vast economic contributions.
As a key member of the AGA’s public affairs team, the vice president of state and regulatory affairs has responsibility for paving the way for innovation in the casino gaming industry by advancing a consistent, modern regulatory environment, driving consensus among our members for progressive state legislative policy and leveraging AGA research to accurately inform casino expansion discussions. The vice president of state and regulatory affairs will lead AGA’s Next Generation Gaming initiative in coordination with input from the AGA’s Public Policy Committee. The vice president reports directly to the senior vice president of public affairs. He/she will lead the executional elements related to building, fostering and maintaining relationships with gaming regulators in the U.S. and developing and implementing regulatory change that fosters growth within the industry. The ideal candidate has experience working with state regulatory agencies, state legislatures, or in state advocacy. Prior experience working in or around the gaming industry a plus.
• Manage, engage and drive AGA’s Next Generation Gaming Task Force to develop regulatory recommendations that promote growth, innovation and modernization of U.S. gaming regulations.
• Organize and convene regulator roundtables, and information sharing opportunities to align and promote gaming’s growth and AGA’s Next Generation Gaming policies.
• Drive consensus among AGA’s members on state gaming policy and develop tactical plans to achieve results.
• Work closely with VP of strategic communications to develop and execute communications plans that promote informed discussions about state casino gaming expansion.
• Work in partnership and manage relationships, where applicable, with state gaming associations.
• Assist in relationship building with national state and regulatory associations in support of AGA’s public policy objectives.
• Effectively and efficiently assist in managing any consultants and vendors providing regulatory services to the association.
• Work closely with AGA communications, research, ally development and government relation’s staff to ensure Next Generation Gaming policies and modernization of state laws and regulations delivers high value to members and drives the AGA’s strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate possesses:
• Minimum 10 years of professional experience with a history of progressive achievement and advancement in a similar role.
• Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in the fields of political science, public policy or communications.
• An advanced degree, experience in the commercial casino industry, trade associations or similar advocacy organizations is a plus.
• Track record of high integrity, good judgment, confidentiality, and discretion. • Excellent research, writing, editing, proofreading, presentation and interpersonal skills, with strong attention to detail.
• Strong data and analytical skills including the ability to present complex data in terms non-specialized audiences can understand.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills around consensus building and relationship maintenance.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to think creatively and strategically.
• Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multifaceted and collaborative work environment.
• Ability to work independently to problem solve and self-starter, takes initiative.
• Effortlessly adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term deliverables with longterm strategic goals while producing a high-caliber work product.
• Superior project management, organization skills and attention to detail required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
• Ability to travel as needed. • Willingness to learn and grow