Provide creative and technical support in the operation of simulation technology and related clinical education-based design. This includes developing scenarios, techniques, and managing clinical equipment necessary for simulation education in cooperation with the Program Manager, Simulation. Maintain equipment inventory control and maintenance processes. Identify, implement, and manage hardware, software, and multimedia resources that specifically support the high-fidelity human patient simulators, high-fidelity virtual simulators, task trainers and software specific to these devices in support of the Innovation, Simulation, and Training Center (ISTC). Maintain and update equipment, plus consumables through inventory and ordering of equipment and supplies for in-house and off-site use. Maintain other equipment and systems, including trouble-shooting, updating systems, and arranging repairs as needed. Identify processes that can be modified or streamlined to support the clinical faculty and educational offerings. Support data collection and reporting.
- Work with faculty in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of courses, scenarios, simulation tools, research studies, and other educational initiatives to measure learning outcomes.
- Perform related administrative duties such as working with faculty to provide content and learning materials, then submit them to the Learning Management System (LMS) team, which includes evaluation tools and checklists as necessary to evaluate the performance of learners with relation to their clinical area of practice.
- Assist faculty with the necessary logistical and administrative support for abstracts, PowerPoint presentations, poster printing, conference workshops, business reports, and manuscripts for publication. Coordinate simulation or clinical research data collection, management, and analysis.
- Design innovative ideas to improve the technology and development of assigned programs; develop strategies to enhance programs and services. It is important for employees to develop new ideas and strategies that engage and motivate the learners in their experience.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with other departments and staff. Ensure that all work assignments meet deadlines and standards of quality. Maintain data confidentiality and security.
- Serve as the point of contact for assigned programs to receive, set up, and return in-kind equipment.
- Conduct the set up and clean up of rooms used for training sessions, cadaver programs, and meetings.
- Program and operate simulator equipment for simulation sessions. Assure that the simulator is in good working condition prior to the start of all simulations. Role-play as needed for simulated cases.
- Monitor simulated exercises and provide evaluations for volunteers and users to complete.
- Work with the team to maintain the ISTC as a clean, safe, and operational facility and optimal learning environment both at CHEST headquarters as well as off-site training locations.
- Ensure accurate maintenance of all education and training records (simulator use, equipment use, instructor and student hours, course materials, and evaluations) to assure compliance with accreditation standards.
- Maintain appropriate levels of consumable supplies and other disposable and non-disposable items including the gases necessary for the operation of simulation programs; reorder as necessary.
- Support in the design, creation, and implementation of innovative technologies needed in the labs to support the CHEST vision in improving patient care. Ability to modify or alter simulation equipment as needed to improve the learner experience.
- Assist in maintaining course budgets for assigned program areas.
- Perform related administrative duties such as preparing, recording, categorizing, and submitting expenses for equipment and users.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies, procedures and practices for the simulation programs in order to maintain accreditation with various accreditation bodies.
- Collaborate with faculty to assist them with creating innovative research, designing study protocol and preparing logistics for approval, initiation, and implementation of research studies.
- Maintain proficiency in existing and emerging technologies and clinical applications, including basic theory, design and implementation. Keep current with simulation community information.
- Provide training for faculty and staff in the utilization of simulator equipment, scenario development and programming, and updates related to simulation education.
- Help recruit, train, and supervise technical staff and other Training Center per-diem employees to assure effective maintenance and repair of simulator and clinical equipment.
- Assist in the coordination of ISTC activities including training sessions, scenario programming, meetings, routine maintenance, and tours; lead tours as necessary.
- Monitor and control daily operations and assist with other special projects or initiatives.
- Complete other tasks and projects as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education or healthcare-related field
- Computer proficiency required in PC and Mac-based software applications: MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Project, people, and time management skills including demonstrated ability to coordinate and complete multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision and consistently meet strict deadlines for projects at various stages.
- Demonstrated skills to apply effective oral, electronic, and written communication methods with staff and volunteers.
- Well-developed organizational and project management skills to prioritize work demands, working with minimal supervision, and carrying out of responsibilities in a timely and meticulous manner that demonstrates initiative and creativity.
- Flexibility to assess situations, work under pressure, embrace and adapt to change, and adapt to a highly dynamic work environment, while maintaining accountability for assigned programs.
- Problem solving and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team environment with co-workers and volunteers, and be a strong individual contributor.
- Ability to work with multiple departments and personalities across the organization.
- Possess self-motivation and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Moderate heavy lifting frequently to place and pack items, and becoming familiar with the use of specialized medical equipment.
- Work considerable weekends and evenings to accommodate volunteer and learner schedules.
- Ability to accommodate travel, which includes international.
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies:
- Licensure in healthcare-related field, previous experience as a Simulation Technician, or project management background.
- Experience with and proficiency in programming simulators with Laerdal, CAE Healthcare, and other related systems.
- Prior experience in clinical care and education.
- Experience working with Audience Response Solutions.
- Proficiency in audio-visual production including editing, sound and image processing; experience in iMovie and Final Cut and Final Cut Pro preferred.
- Background with designing and creating 3D print models.
- Knowledge in molding and casting.
- Previous skills in animation development, including Maya or Unity.
This description was designed as a convenience to acquaint employees and managers with the basic elements of the position. The duties of this position are not limited to what is contained in this description and employees in this position may be asked to perform various functions not listed. This description is solely for the purpose of summarizing basic responsibilities and is not intended to be a contract or guarantee of employment or of any specific terms or conditions of employment. This description may be amended or eliminated from time to time as necessary for operational or business reasons.