Make a meaningful change in healthcare!
Overall Objective of the Executive Director (ED) position:
Let your administrative, communication, and operational talents shine with the motivated and highly active Maryland chapter of the American Academy of Family Physicians (MDAFP)!
The Board of Directors seeks an outstanding ED to support MDAFP member needs, liaise with parent-organization AAFP, and collaborate with other state and federal professional organizations, learning institutions and government officials.
Be a part of something special…
“The Maryland Academy of Family Physicians exists to support and promote Maryland Family Physicians in order to improve the health of our State’s patients, families, and communities”. – Mission Statement
About 30% of primary healthcare in America is done by family physicians who have the broadest and most versatile training in medicine. In fact, about 85% of all patient visits to family physicians address issues completely, without referring to specialists for additional care. Research has shown that the key to improving healthcare in our society is improving primary care infrastructure. The MDAFP is committed to this goal!
Over 1400 members strong, the MDAFP is a well-established and trusted organization among family physicians, resident physicians (family doctors-in-training), and medical students.
MDAFP has a 22-member volunteer Board of Directors comprised of hard-working, collaborative, and strategic Family Physician leaders.
MDAFP benefits its members by providing education, advocacy, representation, and leadership for the specialty of Family Medicine in Maryland. Also, the MDAFP-Foundation promotes medical student interest in our specialty and provides support to Maryland Family Medicine resident physicians.
Key Executive Director Role Attributes Critical to Past and Future Success of the Chapter, and Opportunities for Professional Growth… a great blend of independent work with the support of excellent volunteer chapter leadership and members!
Leadership and Innovation
- - Maintain awareness of state and federal healthcare issues and funding opportunities (legislative advocacy, public health, education, etc.) pertinent to family physicians, always keeping the Board informed
- - Represent interests of MDAFP with key state and federal stakeholders, under the direction of the President and Board
- - Direct and promote the Maryland Academy of Family Physicians Foundation
- - Develop new services and sources of revenue, explore efficient and innovative means of communications
- - Manage public relations and media and member inquiries
- - Manage an annual budget (approx. $300,000 - $500,000)
- - Supervise staff
- - Collaborate with chapter leadership to create and implement all programs and projects
- - Staff all Board and committee meetings and prepare (or supervise the preparation of) minutes
- - Maintain records of all key meetings, financial activity, and policies
- - Supervise event planning, to include Board meetings, membership meetings, Advocacy Day, and other special events
- - Serve as managing editor for all printed and virtual newsletters and communications originating from the chapter
- - Ensure web site is operational and continuously updated
- - Recruit members
- - Engage with chapter President regularly to manage chapter activities
- - Full time position
- - Board meetings (typically 4 a year) occur on a weekend day
- - There are typically 2-3 evening meetings per year
- - Travel opportunities: several meetings with regional and national AAFP leadership annually
- - SEP/IRA: 9% of gross income annually
- - Optional 401k
- - Health, vision, dental benefits
- - Merit bonuses available at discretion of Board
- - Life insurance: fully paid
- - Professional Development and Tuition Assistance
- - Employee Assistance Program
- - Paid vacation is commensurate with tenure of employment, up to 4 weeks per year
- - Sick leave