NPES is seeking an Events Assistant intern to provide support to the Meetings & Events department in its efforts to plan and execute PRINT 17, the leading conference and exhibition for the printing and imaging community. This paid internship is an opportunity to gain meaningful experience in a nonprofit association environment. The selected intern will work alongside a seasoned group of professionals and will learn and become involved in event planning principles and practices as well as marketing operations. The internship begins in May and continues to the end of September at the NPES headquarters in Reston, Virginia.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Customer Service – Attendee
The Events Assistant will be the main point person for all customer service related issues regarding registration and show questions. This person will have a thorough understanding of the registration process and be able to assist with special handling of large groups. The week after the advance pricing registration deadline (August 18) leading up to the show will be the heaviest activity for registration and will take up 85 percent of this person’s time during that timeframe.
Ongoing duties include:
Serve as primary customer service representative for various show-related questions.
- Aid attendees with registration, conduct special handling needs, process refunds, and more.
- Troubleshoot registration problems.
- Answer e-mail inquiries.
- Conduct outbound calls to past attendees to encourage them to register.
- Assist exhibitors in registering their customers for complimentary registrations.
Please note that about two weeks of training is required before this person would be able to answer questions on their own without involving other staff for each issue. Even though there are various training materials, the questions can be complex and require understanding of several areas and processes to provide accurate responses.
Customer Service - Exhibitor
Backup to the Meetings & Registration Manager is required to assist with phone calls from exhibitors regarding registration questions and look-ups of existing registrations. During the eight weeks prior to the show, coverage will be needed when the Meetings & Registration Manager is out of the office, so that immediate assistance is available.
From June to August, this person will assist with any communications to exhibitors and assist with data entry of promotional listing forms. This person will also assist with data manipulation of promotional listings collected.
During and Post-show
During the show (September 10 – 14), it is important for this person to be in the office to help with registration, exhibitor services, and other calls related to the show. After the show, the assistant’s primary responsibilities will be to assist with requests for registration receipts, refunds, evaluation surveys, and additional projects that may come up.
The Events Assistant will participate in the delivery of exhibit sales-related social media messages. This person will monitor and report on the metrics and expo registrations relative to social media tools. In addition, they will search, connect, follow, and friend target contacts on social media.
Co-located Event Support
The Events Assistant will participate in the development and delivery of tools to encourage co-located groups to promote their events along with PRINT 17. They will monitor and document weekly show expo registrations relative to each event’s special free pass link/code.
Generation of confirmation letters, audio-visual requests, assistance with housing requests, creation and maintenance of spreadsheet containing speaker contact information and all session details listed.
Additional Related Duties
- Data entry for various departmental projects
- Mailing and fulfillment of promotional material
- Departmental filing
- Follow-up calls
- Update database as mail is returned
- Check and respond to emails in general mailboxes
- Help update the Show Calendar of Events
- Assist with Sales filing, invoicing, and other administrative tasks.
- Assist on media files as required.
- Strong sense of professionalism and friendly customer service attitude
- Ability to work the timeframe needed (daily, from hire through September)
- Excellent communication and demonstrated research, writing, and telephone skills
- Ability to accurately understand scope of assigned projects and adhere to deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Database Entry Experience
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn a plus
- Attention to Detail
Please send resumes to:
Kelly E. Kilga, CEM
Vice President, Meetings and Events
NPES & Graphic Arts Show Company, Inc. (GASC)
1899 Preston White Drive
Reston, VA 20191-4367