At Communities In Schools, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion—it is our mission. At the National Office, we collaborate with local affiliate organizations, to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. We are the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, serving 1.5 million students in 2,400 sites across the country. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do.
About the Role:
As Director, Digital Strategy you are responsible for leading the development and execution of a comprehensive, integrated digital outreach and engagement strategy, deepening engagement with CIS stakeholders, and attracting new constituents through the consistent execution of digital experiences that showcase our mission. You will also ensure that our digital assets, website, blog, mobile, and social media presence are fully integrated and aligned with the overall strategic goals of the organization.
• Lead the development and execution of a comprehensive, integrated digital outreach and engagement strategy via the organization’s website, blog, mobile, and social media.
• Oversee the social media calendar, all social content scheduling, publishing, moderation and ongoing engagement. Help build out social media support for marketing campaigns and events supporting strategic initiatives across the organization.
• Develop evergreen, campaign-specific, and seasonal content for all digital platforms. Coordinate with the Director of Constituent Engagement to support fundraising efforts conducted through the organization’s online direct response program.
• Provide reporting, benchmarks and analysis, to inform organization-wide decision-making and to ensure digital engagement targets are met. Leverage analytics and metrics to identify areas for optimization, improvements in messaging/creative and operational/cost efficiencies.
• Continuously assess digital landscape and industry trends, share new ideas and learnings with internal teams, and brings innovative thinking to maintain a best-in-class digital strategy.
• Champion innovation in the digital space and provides leadership and influence within the organization. Act as the advocate of digital media integration, influencing business strategies. Collaborate with and co-lead a cross-department work team of colleagues from the resource development and legislative relations departments, in order to provide an integrated strategic approach to audience engagement.
• Provide guidance and training to CIS staff and communities on best practices for digital engagement.
• Actively monitor the digital presence CIS affiliate and leverage CIS national’s digital presence to showcase affiliates. Monitor brand compliance and provide technical support for digital outreach to affiliates as needed.
• Supervise integrated marketing staff and manage day-to-day workload of the team, including brainstorming, proposal strategy and program execution. Build a high-performing team with a mix of consultants and external vendors.
Qualifications of the Director of Digital Strategy:
• Bachelor’s degree and at least seven years working in management-level digital positions. Previous experience in the nonprofit sector a plus.
• Demonstrated results creating and implementing innovative digital content and distribution strategies.
• Experience researching, recommending and implementing best practices and solutions for all digital communications (including but not limited to hosting, e-mail, online widgets, content management systems, SEO, SEM, etc).
• Outstanding presentation and written communication skills and ability to effectively engage a diverse online community, using digital tools to empower our network, our students, our alumni and the general public.
• High-level of interpersonal skills demonstrated in an environment requiring flexibility and good judgment in managing interactions with individuals at all levels, inside and outside the organization. Ability to collaborate, influence, establish trust and rapport, negotiate, to resolve conflict and effectively coach employees, managers and executives.
• Knowledge of current and emerging digital and technology trends. Proficient using a variety of software platforms, including Microsoft Office suite, Drupal and other web technologies.
• Proficiency with SEO, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and social platforms.
• Strong organizational and time management skills; adept at working under tight deadlines, assessing priorities and managing a variety of projects in a fast-paced environment.
Why Join the CIS Team:
• Communities In Schools is a nonprofit organization which stays true to its mission but does so using the best for-profit practices.
• One of Communities In Schools' greatest assets is its human capital. Our small but diverse and talented staff is committed to moving the needle on the dropout problem.
• You will work in a collaborative, mission focused, employer of choice organization.
• CIS offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance, retirement savings, generous paid-time off, paid holidays (plus a bonus week), and telework opportunities.
About Communities In Schools
Across the country, 14.5 million kids under 18 live in poverty. These are disproportionately children of color who already struggle with issues of access and equity. Without community support, they are more at risk for missing school, dropping out and failing to earn a high school diploma. By helping our most vulnerable students stay in school and succeed in life, we are building stronger, healthier and more economically stable communities where every person is capable of reaching his or her greatest potential.