The American Library Association recently migrated its ALA Connect collaboration/community site from Drupal to Higher Logic.
We're seeking a creative, energetic Community Engagement Manager to take Connect to the next level in terms of engagement, interactions, and “pushing the envelope” on what the Higher Logic platform can do. This person will run our ALA Members community, implement member journey campaigns through automation rules and Informz mailings, share usage and engagement reports, collaborate with membership staff across ALA, and help members connect with one another to fulfill ALA's mission.
ALA Connect consists of 2,000 communities spread out over 33 microsites. We have 55,000+ members, and also allow non-members to access portions of the site. This summer we'll be implementing Workspace, Volunteer Manager, and Mentor Match. We already use Activity Sync with iMIS and Informz for marketing automation.
Come work with us to build a premier site that will be a case study in best practices and future presentations!
Reporting to the recently promoted ALA Associate Executive Director, ALA Offices and Member Relations, the community engagement manager will be responsible for:
• Creating and managing vibrant online communities for ALA members using the Higher Logic online community management software to connect members, and facilitate networking and engagement • Encouraging ALA members to complete their online community profiles to connect them to people, networks, groups and products of interest • Promoting member participation in ALA’s online communities via print, online, email, and social media • Working in conjunction with the ALA Community Engagement Specialist, create automation and personalization rules for ALA’s online communities • Through personalization, encourage ALA members to join ALA divisions and round tables within their communities of interest • Identifying non-ALA members participating in the online communities and communicate the benefits of ALA membership • Working collaboratively with other ALA membership marketers, coordinate and standardize services, marketing, onboarding and other messaging
This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment that is mission-driven and empowers staff to creatively carry out responsibilities. Starting salary range is negotiable from the mid-60s based on experience and qualifications. ALA has an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental, generous paid vacation and a retirement annuity.
Apply online including a cover letter and resume.
(Additional documents are uploaded on the same screen as your resume)
Send your resume and cover letter to:
American Library Association Human Resources Department Ref: commengagemgrMembRels 50 E. Huron Street Chicago, IL 60611 Fax: 312.280.5270 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field or equivalent experience in community engagement, minimum of five years, is required. Background in library and information science, nonprofit, and/or associations is a plus.
• Demonstrated expertise in managing online communities. Experience with Higher Logic a plus.
• Strong project management, collaborative, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, and visual creativity.
• Must be a self-starter, innovator, and problem-solver.
• Ability to work well under pressure, to meet deadlines while making sound decisions, and to accommodate shifting priorities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with other staff and member leaders. Must also be able to work independently.
• Aptitude for providing excellent customer service to co-workers, members, and external customers.
• Daily usage of MS Office applications, member engagement platform, association management systems (e.g., iMIS or similar), email marketing services (e.g. Informz or similar), data dashboards, and data infographics/visualizations.
Internal Number: 18-0004
About American Library Association - Chicago, IL
The American Library Association (ALA) is the oldest and largest library association in the world.Founded in 1876, our mission is to share our vision of the importance of libraries, literacy and free access to information.ALA offers professional services and publications to members and nonmembers, including online news stories from American Libraries and analysis of crucial issues from our Washington Office. Our main office is located in the heart of Chicago's Gold Coast, right off of Michigan Ave, with satellite offices in Washington, DC, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania.